Saturday 29 July 2017

ALL SAINTS CHURCH HEMSWELL UK.



All Saints Church in Hemswell in Lincolnshire. The plaque on the west face of the tower recounts the successive demolitions and rebuildings of various parts of the church 1754 - 1764 and names the church wardens responsible. The nave and chancel were further restored and Gothicised in 1858 but the three bay early English north arcade has survived.  Unfortunately on the day we visited the church was closed, so we were unable to see the interior.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A Lych Gate.
 
~~~~<<<<>>>>~~~~
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Les! This church is beautiful! Too bad you couldn't get inside. That would have really something to see I am sure. I'm not sure but it seems that different parts of the church are in a way supporting each other. Not like outside structural arches would do, but I think you get what I mean. One of the things I like best about this type of architecture is the arched windows. I know there are archways leading to the doors but I wonder if the doors are arched as well. Hope so. That would add even more to it all. Great photos my friend. Maybe next time you can get inside.

    ReplyDelete