Monday 6 June 2016

WAKEFIELD BRIDGE and CHANTRY CHAPEL.


This stone bridge, built soon after 1342, replaced an earlier bridge over the river Calder. The packhorse bridge was added in 1730. The chantry chapel of St Mary, built between 1342 and 1356 is one of only four bridge chapels still surviving in England. It was restored in 1847 and more recently. It is a scheduled ancient monument and a grade one listed building. The original stonework can be seen at the base, although the upper part, including the west front, was rebuilt in 1847-8. The friends of Wakefield Chantry Chapel, established in 1990 in collaboration with the Civic Society, exist to ensure the chapel is kept in good repair and is made available to visitors. In 1995 major roof repairs were carried out, and the building was re-wired and new lighting and heating systems were installed. Recently the interior has undergone substantial reordering with the removal of pew platforms, a new stone floor and new seating.
















Label stop.

Label stop.

THE FOLLOWING LAST FIVE PHOTOS SHOW THE CARVINGS ON THE FRONT OF THE CHAPEL.






~~~~<<<<>>>>~~~~






















2 comments:

  1. I will have to say that overall this is probably the most unique subject that you have presented here. And, I like it. I have never heard of a bridge going to a chapel! That is such a great idea we should have some of them here. Well, maybe there is in the New England area, and I just haven't heard of it. Of course you know I love old architecture. When you take in the carvings, the arches, and everything else they did so well back then, you can't help but love it. Fantastic photos, my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I myself can not get my head around how fantastic the carvings are saying they must have been done with the most basic tools. I tried doing a bit of carving in wood, it was very difficult, never mind trying it in stone. Thank you Dave for the nice comments.

    ReplyDelete