Sunday 24 September 2017

LYNFORD GORGE.



The combination of geology, water and climate change has created the deepest river gorge in the south west providing a truly breath-taking experience which has been enjoyed since Victorian times. The steep sided wooded gorge hidden on the western fringe of Dartmoor, Cornwall, UK inspires many myths and legends and no wonder with features such as the 30 metre Whitelady waterfall and the turbulent pot hole called the Devil`s Cauldron. You can explore the gorge with a choice of adventurous walks from one to three miles. Throughout the seasons there is an abundance of wildlife and plants to see, from woodland birds to wild garlic in the spring and fungi in the autumn. This gorge has rugged terrain, vertical drops and requires strenuous walking. The whitelady waterfall is an outstanding sight to behold. The water runs down the gorges face like a skein of silk. The wind and spray from the impact of water on rocks provides a rain forest like environment that nurtures all manner of plant life and is a hotspot for many varieties of mosses and ferns. The atmosphere of this place is evocative of a prehistoric scene, which unfortunately photographs do not convey this atmosphere, you have to be there to really appreciate it.


 
 
 
 
My daughter admiring this trees root system.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The Whitelady waterfall.
 
 
 
 
A turned wooden mushroom with coins impaled in it.
 
 
 
My son-in-law waiting for me to catch up.
 
 
 
 
~~~~<<<<>>>>~~~~
 
Footnote:-- In hindsight with me having heart and lung problems I should not have attempted this two hour walk around the beautiful Lynford Gorge ( it took me over three hours ) because of its steep slopes, uneven ground and narrow walkways. But with me having my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter with me, spurring and helping me along, I made it. Although they did say I should not do it, but with me being stubborn they kept a close eye on me. The beauty of this gorge did however make it worth while. I stopped quite often to get my breath back and take photos. That night back in the caravan I certainly slept well.
 
~~~~<<<<>>>>~~~~
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. That is a beautiful area, my friend. I do hope the walk did nothing harmful. And you are right about the waterfall. Gorgeous. The mushroom is neat as well. I could stay a long time in an area like that and just enjoy it. But, even though the photos can't give the full impression of the area I sense what you mean about prehistoric. Maybe not even prehistoric but certainly unspoiled which I hope it remains for centuries to come. Hopefully man is smart enough to see that. Good going and great photos. Nice, Nice, Nice.

    ReplyDelete