Monday 15 May 2017

ST GEORGE and LAWRENCE CHURCH.


This interesting church in Springthorpe Lincolnshire UK has a Lincolnshire type of unbuttressed tower, originally Anglo Saxon. It has some surviving Anglo Saxon herringbone masonry at the base. It has a blocked in Anglo Saxon west doorway in which has been inserted a window formed from destroyed belfry lights. The cornerstones indicate that it was largely rebuilt in Norman times. The rebuilding utilised the original Anglo Saxon window. The church was restored in 1864 and again in 1876. The font and the south arcade are early gothic. The stained glass in this church is by Kayll and Co of Leeds. The organ is a manual organ by Joseph Walker, made in 1851 and placed in this church in 1869. It is now in a neo - gothic case, probably since 1889 when the organ chamber was built. The organ pipes are painted in a highly decorative pattern. From the chancel arch used to hang a maidens funeral garland and gloves cut out of white paper, a memorial to Mary Hill, a girl who died in 1814 as a result of an accident whilst ringing one of the bells. Unfortunately when I arrived to take photographs of this church, there was some repairs going on, hence the scaffolding on the outside of the church.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1..... restored pseudo - Saxon 1895 Pevsner.       2........ Anglo Saxon window.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
~~~~<<<<>>>>~~~~
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. One thing for sure that I like about this church are the arches. Danged if I don't just love arches and archways. There really isn't anything not to like about this one. The bottom stained glass window is really nice, bright and clear. The others are good, of course. The furniture and other fixtures are extremely nice. Good photo work as always, Les!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dave, sorry not been on my blog site for some time. I have given it a break because I was losing interest and I thought a break would do me good. But while I have been away my health took somewhat of a nose dive with me ending up in hospital with my heart problems. I can say I am ok again ( fingers crossed )and as you have noticed back blogging. Hope you have been ok my friend while I was away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete